About: The Old Courts
At The Old Courts, our work is designed to introduce the arts into the lives of the people of Wigan and beyond and to enhance the experience of those who are engaged.
We are driven to CREATE a vibrant, supportive, risk-taking and strategic environment for artists to ENGAGE new and existing audiences and disconnected communities.
What do we do?
As an organisation we are deeply rooted in creating, producing and programming work with the community. Including:
- Artist Development
- Community Work
- Live Events
- Heritage and place making
Spaces we have:
- The Bailiff Bar – Wigan’s hidden gem. A cultured and friendly spot with an extensive cocktail menu, a huge variety of drinks and free entertainment from a host of talented artists. This is the hangout for anyone who likes vibrancy and choice.
- The Holding Cell -Inspired by The Edinburgh Fringe Festival, this cosy space in the Bailiff Bar hosts open mics, improv, comedy and poetry shows and has quickly become a popular venue for off-piste entertainment.
- The Grand Vault – Our main music venue is a staged, draped space perfect for live music performance. We welcome bands, DJ’s and soloists here for weekly shows in a unique but considered space.
- The Theatre -Our 172 seat theatre is traditional in feel and hosts a wide range of shows and theatre-makers developing work. We welcome international shows, UK touring work, local projects and community work.
- The Victorian Courtroom -The Victorian Courtroom is a truly dramatic space. It now hosts a wide variety of events from book launches, art classes and conferences to private celebrations and weddings.
- The Judges Chambers – The Judge’s Chamber is a beautifully decorated space adjacent to The Victorian Courtroom and is included in the room hire packages.
- Creative Studios – Our home for artists in residence. A quiet and equipped place where artists can develop and rehearse new material, this is where actors, writers and producers become endeared to our building and make fantastic work.
- Community Rooms – Spaces for the local community to meet, learn and share.
- Apex – A workspace solution for creatives and professionals who need desk space, WIFI, tea and coffee facilities and meeting rooms on an adhoc basis
- Fork and Brush Café – Our café is open 7 days a week with plenty of variety of mouth-watering options including plant-based, gluten free, superb coffee and a wide range of teas. Walls are adorned with pieces of local artwork from the Swinley Art Group.
- The Record Store